09 June 2022

Talking on the phone is not my speed, don't send me no letter, 'cause I can't read

Thursday music corner: Louisiana-born rock 'n roll pioneer Antoine 'Fats' Domino (1928-2017) was labelled by none other than Elvis Presley as 'the real king of rock 'n roll'. He had a huge string of hit singles and albums, starting with The Fat Man (actually a b-side) in 1949, achieving enduring success with hits like Ain't That A Shame (1955), Blueberry Hill (1956) and I'm Walkin' (1956), and concluding with a top 40 R&B chart hit as late as 1964 when the Beatles, who also idolised Domino, revolutionised American music for ever. A major earner on the concert circuit for many years, he was famed for his love of expensive jewelry, as discussed in this 1968 interview.

Boogie stomper I'm Ready was an April 1959 Domino single (b/w a cover of 1920 jazz standard Margie) on the Imperial label, which appeared on his 1960 album Fats Domino Sings Million Record Hits

No comments: