27 June 2022

Nigel Buxton reviews Ghostbusters

Ghostbusters was one of a tiny handful of films (including Flash Gordon, The Killing Fields and Dances with Wolves) that I went to see with my whole family, even Dad. When we came out of the cinema after Ghostbusters I wanted to know if Dad had liked it as much as I had. He said he liked the bit with the smarmy, troublesome health-inspector character Walter Peck [played by William Atherton], who in one scene gets referred to as 'Dickless' by Ray Stantz. 'One comes across that type so often. He played it perfectly,' said Dad afterwards.

'Didn't you think Dr Venkman was funny, though?' I asked Dad, smiling to myself as recalled Bill Murray's line: 'It's true - this man has no dick' - a type of humour that was new to me.

'He seemed rather too pleased with himself' was Dad's verdict on the comedy genius.

- Adam Buxton, Ramble Book, London, 2020, p.186.

No comments: