18 August 2022

All you gotta do is be around like this to please me

Thursday music corner: Christine McVie, born under the name Christine Perfect in Lancashire in 1943, has been a core member of Fleetwood Mac for most of its existence, joining the band in 1970 after her marriage to Mac member John McVie. The marriage lasted until 1976 but McVie stayed with the band much longer, choosing to retire in 1998 after nearly three decades of hit-writing. She rejoined the band in 2014. The many hits McVie wrote for Fleetwood Mac include Songbird, Say You Love Me, Don't Stop, You Make Loving Fun and Everywhere, and she co-wrote Hold Me, Little Lies and As Long As You Follow. 

McVie wrote the Glyn Johns-produced single Slow Down for the soundtrack of the 1985 Kevin Costner road cycling movie American Flyers, which was not a box-office success. Her song was not used for the soundtrack, and wasn't released until it appeared on McVie's 2022 solo compilation album, Songbird. In a June 2022 Rolling Stone interview for the album's release, the now-79-year-old McVie expressed doubts that the classic Mac lineup would ever tour again:
 “I don’t feel physically up for it,” she says. “I’m in quite bad health. I’ve got a chronic back problem which debilitates me. I stand up to play the piano, so I don’t know if I could actually physically do it. What’s that saying? The mind is willing, but the flesh is weak.”
Christine McVie - Slow Down (1985)    

No comments: