27 April 2007

What nobler employment

The Roman statesman Cicero once asked, 'What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of a man who instructs the rising generation?'.  Well, Cicero may have strong views on the subject, as one of Rome's greatest orators and prose stylists. 
 
But I would vouch that conducting in-depth inquiries into mergers, markets and the regulation of the major regulated industries is a fairly noble activity too.  For that is what I shall be doing.  From 8 May I will be contracted as an Inquiry Secretary at the Competition Commission in Southampton Row, near the Holborn tube station and a couple of blocks from the British Museum. 
 
I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into the role and learning about my new inquiry subjects.  At this stage it looks like I'll keep working at the BOA until the middle of next week, and then I might take the opportunity to take a short trip for a few days before the job starts.
 
eT

1 comment:

Richard said...

Ha! Found - could do one for my trip but it would likely consist of two posts.
1. "I'm off soon."
2. "I'm back!"