02 November 2023

The thing about you so far, you squeeze my peaches

Thursday music corner: Lucinda Williams (b. Louisiana, 1953) is a Grammy-winning American singer-songwriter. She released her first solo album, Ramblin' On My Mind, in 1979 but it was her fifth album, 1998's Car Wheels On A Gravel Road that cemented her popularity with American audiences, being certified gold, being ranked as the album of the year by the Village Voice magazine, and won the Grammy award for Best Contemporary Folk Album in 1999. 

The lively barroom-rock of Real Love appears on Williams' ninth studio album, 2008's Little Honey, which was her first album to reach the US top 10. The album, which features guest appearances by Elvis Costello, Susanna Hoffs, Matthew Sweet and Charlie Louvin of Louvin Brothers fame, was nominated for the Best Americana Album category in the 2010 Grammy Awards. Real Love is the opening track and first single from the album. 

Williams, speaking to the Guardian in June 2023 about her recovery from a stroke in 2020:

I’ve done a lot of rehab and technically I’m still in recovery. The brain and body have a remarkable capacity to heal themselves, but I still shuffle when I walk. I haven’t been able to play guitar, which is the big thing. My husband keeps telling me I need to play through the pain. The actual playing is good exercise. I’m still doing shows with my band, just differently, and I can sing fine. Some people tell me I’m singing better than before I had the stroke.


Lucinda Williams - Real Love (2008)


See also:
Music: Lucinda Williams - Can't Let Go (live, Later With Jools Holland, 1998)
Music: Vic Chesnutt - Lucinda Williams (1991)
Music: Ramblin' Jack Elliott & Lucinda Williams - Careless Darling (2006)

No comments: