11 February 2020

A fallen angel has been canned

Joaquin Phoenix's mention yesterday in his pro-vegan Oscars speech of his brother River's lyrics reminded me that I owned one of his tracks. River Phoenix was the lead singer for Aleka's Attic, a hotly-tipped and very young Californian band that ultimately struggled to compete with Phoenix's burgeoning movie career. The band contributed their 1989 track Across The Way to the 1991 PETA charity album Tame Yourself, which I picked up (probably from the Marbeck's discount bin in Queen's Arcade) because it featured a collaboration between Indigo Girls & Michael Stipe, the excellent I'll Give You My Skin. But Across The Way also stood out as an impressive effort, featuring pleasing hints of psychedelic pop and an ambitious lyrical structure.

 

No comments: