Interviewed by Malcolm Stuart Boylan of the Los Angeles Times in 1922 in an article rather wordily entitled 'Great Executive Job Held By a Boy of 22 - How Irving Thalberg Became the "Big Boss" of One of the Biggest Institutions in the World', Thalberg listed his five rules for success:
- Never hold an unassailable opinion
- The clearness with which I see my goal determines my speed in reaching it
- Expect help from no one
- Pride goeth before a fall. The height of the pride determines the severity of the bump
- Never take any man's opinion as final.
- Los Angeles Times, 15 October 1922, quoted in Debra Ann Pawlak, Bringing Up Oscar, New York, 2011, p120.